Tuesday, August 18, 2009

An informed vendor is a happy vendor.

This week I received in the mail something that made my heart smile, I received a formal invitation to a wedding I'm shooting in September. This couple happens to be somewhat family, or really family to my daughter so it's not all that hard to understand why I received one, but regardless I am thrilled that I received it. Why? Because now I know all the information I need, like what type of dinner it will me, where, when, who, what. I now know what type of food I'll be eating (because ya'll should feed your photographer, or at least give her some soda! Diet Coke please ahem!) knowing if it is a plated dinner or buffet helps too, if it is plated should I NOT park my caboose in my chair and walk around capturing some people at their tables who are waiting for their meals, and if it is buffet, should I make sure that I catch the bride and groom at the food line (if they request this) what times will everything be happening, how about a map? The little map you put in there helps me find you!

This invitation reads "the bride and grooms names" along with their families, that to me conveys more than likely the bride and the groom are paying for the wedding, they are my go to people, they might have children of their own, etc. Whereas if I read "Mr and Mrs. Michael Wilson cordially invite you to the wedding of their daughter Nicole." I would think this is a wedding hosted by the parents, the parents are the go to people. There is a wealth of knowledge in receiving that wedding invitation. I also now can do some fun things with the wedding invitation on my end, I can photograph it, or replicate it in photoshop to make something pretty neat!

In my previous experience shooting weddings it has felt like the photographer is the last to know everything, I am not making food, I am not a florist, I am not an organist, I am there to capture images that will play out whether I am there or not, so I am not triple checked like some of my fellow vendors. I also am not overly pushy with brides because I know that emotions run high during wedding planning, so I tend to be off it the peripheral for most events, (besides the last thing you want to do prior to a wedding is make the key players upset. :)

By formally inviting your photographer you are able to clear up a lot of questions, you prepare them better for their day before and after their time with you, and for that 1.00 you spent in postage you just might end up with something pretty amazing in your photos too!

No comments:

Post a Comment